Shechita and Kosher Supervision
At Grow and Behold, our commitment to the Jewish value of kashrut is at the core of everything we do. We work with world-class shochtim (kosher-slaughters) and supervisors to ensure our meats are strictly kosher.
All our red meat is produced under the strict supervision of the Star-K*. Our Beit Yosef Beef is certified Chalak Beit Yoseif L'Sepharadim by the Star-S. All Rose Veal and Lamb are Beit Yoseif without any additional markings on the package. If you have any questions regarding red meat hashgacha that are not addressed here, please feel free to contact the Star K directly.
Our poultry is produced under the strict supervision of the Orthodox Union (OU). All birds are raised exclusively for Grow & Behold. Our chicken is processed by David Elliot Poultry Farm (also under the CHK). Our ducks are processed by Pelleh Poultry under the supervision of the OU and Rabbi Dovid Miller. Our turkeys are produced under the OU (and are also CRC). If you have any questions regarding poultry hashgacha that are not addressed here, please feel free to contact the OU directly.
We work in small, family-owned processing plants, where we can personally supervise every step of the process. Our shochtim are experts in their field and uphold the highest standards of kashrut. They have plenty of time to check their knives and thoroughly inspect the lungs of each animal (for beef). We ensure that each animal is treated humanely, without electric prods or other painful techniques.
Our cattle are slaughtered using upright slaughter techniques (based on Temple Grandin's principles of animal restraint) by master shochtim (kosher slaughterers) with whom Naftali has worked and studied. Our beef are never slaughtered using inversion pens or "shackle and drag" methods. Learn more about making kosher meat.
Our wild-caught skin-on salmon filets do not carry Star-K or any other kosher certification, but are considered acceptable for kosher consumption by many. Please consult your rabbi if you have questions.
- Letter of Kosher and Chalak Beit Yosef L'Sephardim certification from the Star K
- Letter of Kosher and Kosher-for-Passover certification from the Orthodox Union (OU)
- Letter Kosher certification for Gefilte Fish from The Gefilteria from the Orthodox Union (OU)
Kosher for Passover Information
Most of our products are kosher for Passover year-round without any additional Passover markings. Here is how you can tell if products you have already purchased, or are about to purchase, are kosher for Passover:
Products purchased after February 1, 2021:
- All products purchased after February 1, 2021 that are suitable for use on Passover will have the words "Kosher for Passover' in the product name on our website. (Note that all of our unseasoned, raw Beef, Veal, Lamb and Poultry are kosher for Passover year-round with no additional markings on the package -- the packages themselves will not necessarily say "kosher for Passover", unless specific Passover certification is required -- see below.)
Products purchased before January 31, 2021:
- All of our unseasoned, raw Beef, Veal, Lamb and Poultry are kosher for Passover year-round with no additional markings on the package. Yes, you can serve steaks, roasts, raw chicken, etc. that you have already purchased on Passover.
- Ground Meats *may* be kosher for Passover: please see the table below for detailed information on the kosher for Passover status of our ground meats.
- Anything with ingredients other than meat must have a Passover hechsher (OU-P or Star K-P) for use on Passover. You can find our kosher for Passover sausages, hot dogs, deli meats, gefilte fish and various cheeses here. Marinated meats, kishka, raw sausages, cocktail franks, beef jerky, Montreal smoked meat, salami and lamb bacon will not be available for Passover.
Use this chart to determine whether your ground meat is kosher for Passover ("KP"):
|Bulk Ground Beef||5lb or 10lb bag||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Ground Beef||1lb or 2lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Ground Beef (Tube)||1lb Tube||Only KP with Passover hechsher|
|Ground Beef with Bacon||1lb Brick||Not KP|
|Ground Chicken (Tube)||1lb Tube||Only KP with Passover hechsher|
|Ground Lamb||1lb or 2lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Ground Lamb (Tube)||1lb Tube||Only KP with Passover hechsher|
|Ground Turkey||1lb Tube||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Ground Veal||1lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Lean Ground Beef||1lb or 2lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Meatball Mix||1lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|
|Premium Ground Beef||2lb Brick||Always KP with regular hechsher|