About this cut
Our incredible brisket comes from our US-raised Black Angus cattle, which are specially bred for tenderness and raised on pasture with no hormones or antibiotics. With their carefully balanced diet of pasture, hay and grain, our beef is tender, well-marbled, and flavorful. This is truly the best brisket you can find, and if you're looking to impress friends and family with your smoking skills, do yourself a favor and start with the best beef you can find. With our incredible marbling, great flavor and careful trimming, you won't find a better brisket for smoking out there.
You have options when choosing a whole brisket with a fat cap for smoking. Here's how to choose the amount of fat you like:
- Packer Cut: this is a full fat-cap with sections of fat that are 1-2" thick, great for a long smoke
- Deli Cut: this a 1/4" layer of fat, ideal if you want more coverage than our fully-trimmed Whole Brisket, or you are a confident smoker who has your timing down
There's kosher meat -- and then there's Grow & Behold. Our meats are renown for flavor and quality throughout and beyond the kosher world because they simply have no comparison. Find out what you've been missing!
Basic Cooking Technique:
Season and smoke, or braise low and slow.
Packer Cut Brisket should be smoked for 12-18 hours. Fat will render during smoking; you may want to remove any remaining fat before serving.
Deli Cut Brisket is ideal for smoking or braising.
- Basic Instructions for Smoked Brisket
- Oven-Smoked Pastrami
- Ari White's BBQ Brisket Rub
- Coffee Chile Rub (great for BBQ Brisket)
This product is shipped frozen and will arrive frozen or refrigerated.
*Price per pound is an estimate for comparison purposes only. Click on the "Details" tab to learn more.
This weekend I smoked up my fourth(!) Grow and Behold Whole Brisket. This is by far my favorite cut of meat to buy from Grow and Behold.
I smoke the brisket in my ceramic smoker and 12-15 hours later the most moist, tender, flavorful meat emerges. My guests literally fight over it. My only complaint is that I never have any leftovers to eat after my BBQ.
Note on trim: I started buying the "packer" trim because I wanted trim the fat myself to ensure that there was a nice fat cap left to keep the meat moist. I tried out the "deli" trim on my last brisket and it was actually perfectly trimmed -- I was able to take it out of the packaging and season without any other prep needed.
It takes time commitment to make really good smoked brisket, but if you are going to put 15 hours into making a dish, you should start with a really good piece of meat.
I like the smaller briskets. They smoke so nicely, and quite quickly. Great marbling
I was disappointed with what I received:
1. The brisket came in a normal plastic bag. It was not cryovac or otherwise vacuum sealed, which in my opinion allows it to discolor and dry out more during the thawing process.
2. The brisket was completely unmarked- no label on the bag or marking on the meat showing it was Angus, and no label showing the exact weight. That information is important so that I can confirm that I got what I paid for.
3. The brisket itself was not frozen flat- it was frozen curved which in my opinion makes it more difficult to thaw evenly.
So although the brisket cooked up nice, (this is why I gave it three stars), I would be hesitant to order again. At the premium prices being charged, I assumed that these things would come standard.
A Note from the Company: Thanks for the review! We're sorry about the packaging issues with the order, as we wrote to you directly...
1. We're sorry about the poor vaccum seal on this cut. We do vaccum pack all of our briskets (and other cuts), but it seems the vacuum must have broken on your brisket, in transit, and it would have appeared to be in a regular plastic bag.
2. As a policy, all of our meats are sold with the weights on the package. Sometimes large briskets are removed from the boxes to facilitate packing for mail orders, and it seems like our staff forgot to include the weight label in with the brisket, again, we apologize. We do not specifically label our beef as angus, since all of the beef we sell is certified angus beef.
3. We do in fact fold our whole briskets over before freezing. Since it's a large cut, we need to fold it in order to get them into individual boxes for transport, inventory, etc. We're sorry that you found this negatively impacted your experience.
We certainly appreciate the feedback, and we're glad that even though the experience wasn't perfect- the meat did cook up nicely.
I smoked this amazing piece of meat and we are NEVER going back to anything else!!! It was fantastic and fed about 20 hungry adults with leftovers!!!
Packs & Weights
Our frozen meats are packaged in vacuum-sealed packs. Most packs contain one piece (ie, one Brisket). Some packs will contain two pieces (ie, Lamb Chops). Packs of smaller items, such as Chicken Wings or Pepper Steak, will contain multiple pieces.
These vacuum-sealed packs are generally packed in a cardboard box. If there is an option to choose how many packs you'd like in the box, you'll make that choice under "Number of Packs". Then you'll choose the total weight of the box (that is, the combined weight of all the the packs in that box).
Example: Lamb Chops
Let's say you're ordering Lamb Chops and you select the following:
You've chosen: 2 packs, ~1.9lbs, and the price shows as $60.78.
You’ll receive 1 box, with 2 packs of lamb chops inside. The whole thing will weigh approximately ~1.9lbs and will cost $60.78.
Each pack will contain 2 lamb chops, and weigh approximately .95lbs.
You’ll have 4 lamb chops in total. Each will weigh approximately .475lbs (note that one may be slightly larger and one slightly smaller).
Weight Ranges & Prices
To keep our fulfillment system practical and manageable, products with variable weights are sold in a weight range (this includes most frozen meats, with the exception of deli meats, sausages and beef jerky). We keep the ranges as small as practically possible to minimize the variation you might receive. If a price/lb is shown with a *, it is an estimate for comparison purposes only, since the price associated with each weight is the price for all items within that weight range.
This chart shows the weight ranges for all our products:
|less than 0.99lb||0.05lb|
|1lb - 2.19lb||0.1lb|
|2.2lb - 2.74lb||0.30lb|
|2.75lb - 10.24lb||0.25lb|
|10.25lb - 19.99lb||0.5lb|